I was sick and tired of windows crashing/blue screening/generally not working so yesterday I installed Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) on my system.
The problem is:
1. I am very new, and not at all familiar with 'the terminal' and the commands
2. I tried to install recommended updates and had some 'broken packages'
3. I read on one of the posts to mark them for 'complete removal' and restart
4. After rebooting I cannot access Add/Remove programs or Synaptic Package Manager!
5. This is the error I get when clicking on Add/Remove:
"Failed to check for installed and available applications
This is a major failure of your software management system. Please check for broken packages with synaptic, check the file permissions and correctness of the file '/etc/apt/sources.list' and reload the software information with: 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get install -f'."
6. So I click Synaptic and I get this message: