I have installed Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04 on HP dx 7200 micro towers.
System Information :-
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7201) (7201.winmain_win7ids.090601-1516)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Compaq dx7200 Micro tower
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel (R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3584MB RAM
Card name: Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
SAMSUNG HD 321HJ of 500 GB.
First I completely formatted the hard disk
Second I made three partitions in hard disk
in first partition, I installed windows 7 (First windows should be installed in Dual booting)
For Installation Windows 7 here the step by step method
Setting up your computer and BIOS (Changes if Required)
When you start your computer put your Windows 7 DVD in DVD/CD drive. And Restart
In most cases it will automatically boot in to the Windows 7 installation.
But in some cases Boot device order has to change.
BIOS it may boot you’re running operating system. In that case you will need to change the BIOS. You change the BIOS setting to boot from CD/DVD instead boot from hard drive.
Installation of Windows 7 almost like Vista Installation type. But you have to care full read the descriptions in each time before clicking the NEXT button to avoid and disasters. There are options to choose in these steps you may find them with each images.
1. First you will see a box called windows 7 press NEXT
2. after that press Install now
3. Now you will see a box called “Please read the license terms” I accept the license terms and press NEXT button.
4. now you will see “Which type of installation do you want”
b. CUSTOM (advanced)
Go to second option that is “CUSTOM (advanced)”
5. Now you will see “where do you want to install windows”.
6. Now I have made three partitions on my disk. By default Disk 0 partition 1 created 100 MB by system use. Now you will see disk 0 partitions 2, disk 0 partition3 and disk 0 partitions 4. Now you have to install windows 7 on disk 0 partition 2. Select disk 0 partition2 and press NEXT button.
7. Now you will see a box called “Installing windows” it will installed, Installation of copying windows files, expanding windows files, installing features, installing updates and completing installation.
8. after installation is over it will “Restart” for two times
9. after that you will see a box in that you have to type user name and press NEXT button
10. Now you will see a box set a password for your account. Give a password and press NEXT button.
11. Now you will see “help protect your computer and improve windows automatically” go for “use recommended setting” after that. Set your time zone and press NETX button. After that you have to select your computer’s current location and select one.
12. That’s all you will see yours windows 7 desktop and enjoy.
How to install ubuntu 11.04
Put your CD on system DVD/CD drive and press enter. After few mints you will see a box called “welcome” press Install Ubuntu” button.
Now you will see “preparing to install ubuntu” box just press “forward” button
After that you will see “Allocate drive space” box in that you will see four options
1. Erase Ubuntu Natty and reinstall
2. Upgrade Ubuntu Natty to 11.04
3. Erase every thing and reinstall
4. Some thing els.
Select 4th option that is “some thing else” and press “forward” button.
After that you will see hard disk partition. Now I installed ubuntu in my 4 th partition. (disk 0 partitions 4)
First press add button you will see create partition box in that go to mount point place select /boot give 2000 MB ( depend up on your drive space availability ) , /home 2000 MB, /tem 2000 MB, /user 2000 MB, /var 2000 MB, /srv 2000 MB, /opt 2000 MB and /usr/local 2000 MB.
Now Important one how to give “SWAP AREA” for that go to “Use as”:- place by default you will see “Ext 4 Journaling File System” press on down side mark you will see 11 options form bottom 2nd option is your “SWAP AREA” just press on “Swap Area”
Give 2 times as your ram size
Exp: - I have 4 GB ram in my system so I have given 8 GB space to swap area.
After giving swap area reaming space allotted to “/ “(Root).
And press “Install Now “button.
Now give time zone and press forward button
Select key board layout and press forward button
Now it will ask your name password. After filling that press forward button.
That all it will install Ubuntu 11.04 on your system. After completing Installation it will ask for “Restart now” just press “Restart Now” button.
After restating your computer you will see the GRUB like this
GNU GRUB VERSION 1.99 rc1-12 UBUNTU 1
Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (Recovery mode)
Previous Linux versions
Memory test (Memest 86+ )
Memory test (Memtest 86+, serial console 115200)
Windows 7 (loader) (on/dev/sda 1)
Select ubuntu 11.04 or windows 7 and enjoy
Some time GNU GRUB will not get after restart your system it will boot only ubuntu don’t worry just open your ubuntu 11.04
Go to system settings ? Ubuntu software Center ? Install StartUP – Manager
After installing StartUP – Manager open it and now goto display place and put Resolution as 640 X 480 and color depth as 8 bits and restart system
After restart you will see the GRUB
Allu John Sudhakar
to see my Blogger (for Ubuntu)http://allujohnsudhakar.blogspot.com
any help mail to me firstname.lastname@example.org