Ubuntu Linux for beginners and experts. An Ubuntu community with support forums and more.
Some time you might find some applications are having only .rpm files but you want a .deb package for your debian,Ubuntu and other debian derived ditributions.If you can’t find .deb debian package in any of the debian,ubuntu repositories or elsewhere, you can use the alien package converter to install the .rpm file.http://www.debianadmin.com/install-rpm-files-in-debian-and-ubuntu.html
I have discovered a way to get Shockwave working under Linux. I am using Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake), Wine 0.99.22, Firefox 22.214.171.124, and Shockwave 10.1.4.020.
- Install Wine. For those who don't know, this is a program which will allow you to run Windows-based programs from within Linux. Wine will automatically associate .exe files with itself. More information on Wine is available at http://www.winehq.com .
- Download the Windows version of Firefox and install. Wine will ensure the installer functions correctly.
- Install the Windows version of Shockwave for Mozilla. I downloaded and installed it manually (slim install).
After these steps, I had a working Shockwave player from within Firefox. Note that to use the Shockwave player, you must start the Windows version of Firefox, which will be running under Wine support.
No clicks needed. No boring setup processes. No Wine complications. Just one easy script and you’ll get three IE versions to test your Sites. And it’s free and open source.This may be very helpful for software developers and web developers to test their applications.http://www.debianadmin.com/running-internet-explorer-debian-and-ubuntu-linux.html
Friends,I have been facing problems since last month to get this Ubuntu live Cd installed on my Pc.The live CD boots, takes time but when the intall icon is clicked the next interface is displayed. This continues upto stage 5 of 6. The moment the three options of partitions are displayed, selecting any one, I had tried all options numerous times, just hangs the pc, nothing happens!As the way I had put up the question you will understand that I am new to linux, in Fact after installing I will get the feel of linux for the first time. I had requested for the cd in Ship it they had done that thankfully. But I am helpless now.I had xp when I started the installtaion, I thought may be it is obstructing the installation, so I swtched to win 98 now. I will paste the details below for you to check it.Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A Upgrade using Full CD /SrcDir=G:\WIN98 /IQ /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, well, well, it's been about 45 days since I last booted in to my XP partition so I decided to shrink it and make space for new partitions in order to install the latest Edgy knot.
- Downloaded Gparted Live 0.3.1-1 Burned as ISO using K3B.
- Booted into XP and verified that I had all my music, videos, and documents backed up to the fat32 partition. Deleted all copies on ntfs partition. Opened add remove programs and uninstalled all the Windows versions of programs that I also have on Ubuntu and all programs that I rarely used. Retained all programs that I might use if I ever boot into XP again. Opened and ran disk cleanup wizard. Ran disk defragmenter about five times.
- Rebooted with Gparted Live disk. Wow! Amazing program. Only 85MB on the disk and loads linux to ram in less than two minutes! Resized ntfs from 97GB to 40GB.
- Decided to use some of that 50GB of free space to try Edgy Eft Knot3. Downloaded, burned as ISO (K3B again), and rebooted. Booted live Edgy disk, clicked the install icon, and ran into a little problem. My disk already had four primary partitions and the newly freed space was not in the extended partition. Was unable to proceed using installation partitioner.
- Rebooted with Gparted Live disk. First, I moved my second primary partition (/home) as far left as I could enlarging it by about 10GB as I did. This placed the free space next to my extended partition. Second, I enlarged the extended partition to encompass the free space.
I need to use java and Visual C++.net on ubuntu. Can ne1 help me with this
Kubuntu is a user friendly operating system based on KDE, the K Desktop Environment. With a predictable 6 month release cycle and part of the Ubuntu project, Kubuntu is the GNU/Linux distribution for everyone.http://www.debianadmin.com/kubuntu-606-lts-installation-with-screenshots.html
Hi i downloaded the ppc version of Ubuntu linux and when i m running it on my eMac with mac OS X tiger, it starts normally and loads in visula mode but then it fails to remainin visual mode saying that the display settings need to be reconfigured.....it runs in command mode....what shud i do as I have certain projects on Ubuntu...please let me know soonAnkur
Everything works quite well on ubuntu dapper, except I can't get any sound. No sound at start, nor when I want to lisetn to CD or anything.I am running ubuntu on VAIO VGN-B3VP. I have a an Intel 82801DB-ICH4 sound card that works ok on Mandriva Linux 2006.I surfed on the net a bit, not much I admit, but none of the solutions I found actually worked for me.when I type in console:<code>aplay -lI get:**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel 82801DB-ICH4] Subdevices: 0/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - IEC958] Subdevices: 1/1</code>it seems ok for me so far.I have checked Multimedi Systems selector and both i/o are set to ALSA. I also checked alsamixer and everything seems fine. Though I don't have alsaconf but that shouldn't be the problem right?
Hello! I am new to this forum and am really interested in using Ubuntu as an alternative to Windows. If anybody could help with the following points I would be very grateful.1) I've found a lot of info regarding using Windows to install Ubuntu and using it as a 'second' OS. But is it possible to uninstall Windows completely and load Ubuntu from the Bios?2) When Ubuntu is first installed, is there an option to first format the hard drive?3) I am in a home network system. All the other computers, including the 'main' one with the internet connection, use Windows; will it be possible to share the internet with the others, and transfer files?Thankyou so very much for your help! I really want to get away from Windows and start completely afresh, and am just hoping that Ubuntu might be the right thing to do.Ed
Download all parts rar to desired folder.
(unrar e part01.rar)
of course, you must enter the correct filename.
You will only need to unrar the part01.rar.
Unrar will extract and combine all parts and write completed file to your /download/folder/.
If there are broken parts, unrar will not save the combined file.
In that case add the -kb switch.
(unrar e -kb part01.rar)
I clean up the folder using
I can't login to Kubuntu with my own username & correct password. I've tried many times, but not successful. Please help me.
hi, i am btech student i had selected viop as a project topic. can any one help me how can we implement this. does we need to create a potocol for this. or can this be done.......if so what are the steps (from beginig) helpppppp
Hi All, I'm new to ubuntu. migrated to this after reading an article at linux.com which mentioned that ubuntu is the most popular destro for desktop users.so i downloaded the iso image and burned it on a CD, but i'm unable to boot from this CD. it goes to a menu driven program where i am asked to enter my choice. selecting installation tab fails and gives error message. My desktop has folllowing configuration: processor: AMD athelon 3000 RAM: 256 MB Hard disk: 8O GB please let me know if you need more details. Thanks, mxms
I have ubuntu 6.06 on a disk. I am currently attempting to install it on my computer. Everything goes fine until its copying files. It gets to 43% and just below the loading bar it says "copying files (900:37 remaining)" and the damn thing stops, you know how I know it stops...the cd-rom stops spinning and the HD LED goes off and everything else freezes, only the mouse will move. THATS IT! I have no other information, nor do I have any way to get any more info cause the thing freezes.So I did my homework. I took out all the pci cards and everything else i don't need, tried again...same thing. I have left the thing on for 3 days thinking maybe it would just take a while, WRONG!! I even tried another disk...nothing. I know not what to do anymore! Any help will be greatly appreciated! Please...im desperate! I am new to linux. HELP ME!!