On a fresh install of Ubuntu, I find myself needing more packages for various things... here is an ongoing list of the packages I install. Just copy and paste this into the terminal to install them.
- sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser subversion build-essential checkgmail nautilus-open-terminal ruby compizconfig-settings-manager flashplugin-nonfree
- epiphany-browser I install as an alternative to firefox. although firefox is great, its nice to be able to open another browser without all my saved passwords, add ons, andother things that could slow me down.
- subversion is for acquiring source code for those beta apps I feel I have to try before binaries are availible.
- build-essential is for compiling that source code
- checkgmail a nice little app that checks my gmail account and pops up when I get a new message
- nautilus-open-terminal adds a useful little 'open terminal' option when I right click in a folder. This saves me alot of time from cd'ing around my computer.
- ruby is needed for many scripts, most important for me my ipod_lastfm_bridge script.
- compizconfig-settings-manager installs the settings for compiz-fusion, because I often forget it (and it is not installed by default in gutsy)
- flashplugin-nonfree sets up my flash player for firefox and epiphany real quick.. so I don't have to download anything manually