x11vnc root 0. I just wana login/out from my gdm over vnc. I want to play on my computer while getting paid hourly at work. I found all the other walkthrews, tutorials, howtos to be annoying and not to the point.
- First, disable Desktop Sharing under System -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop.
- sudo apt-get install x11vnc
- sudo x11vnc -storepasswd yourpasswordhere /etc/x11vnc.pass
- sudo nano /etc/X11/gdm/Init/Default
- add this line to the bottom above exit /usr/bin/x11vnc -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -o /tmp/x11vnc.log -forever -bg -rfbport 5900
- sudo gedit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf then search for search for #KillInitClients=true Uncomment KillInitClients and change true to false so you don’t get your session killed after you log in.
- now restart
I stole this tut almost word for word from http://www.odrakir.com/blog/?p=201. I don’t mean to steal his credit or anything like that. I've used this personally many times and just wanted to share this because it works amazingly.